Can I actually enjoy the benefits of CBD using something that looks like – and tastes like – delicious sweets from my childhood? The answer is yes! Gummies are the latest popular method of enjoying CBD; they are easy to use, tasty and fun. If you haven’t yet tried CBD gummies but you’re keen to discover what the hype is about, we have everything you need to know.
CBD Gummies – What Are They?
CBD gummies are edible sweets that are infused with CBD (cannabidiol). CBD is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid compound found in hemp and marijuana plants. When consumed, CBD interacts with the body’s physiological regulatory system and influences many of our basic functions, including metabolism, sleep, mood, inflammation, immune response and so on.
CBD can be used in a variety of formats. The most common is CBD oil, taken orally via a few drops under the tongue. CBD gummies are another popular, often tastier, oral option for cannabidiol consumption. You may find additional CBD-based product types stocked in wellness stores, such as serums, balms, moisturisers, capsules and even CBD bath bombs.
Advantages of Taking CBD Gummies
A daily CBD gummy can promote wellbeing in a variety of ways; these are largely the same benefits that you can enjoy from any CBD-based product. Furthermore, there are advantages that are specific to CBD gummies. We’ve listed the benefits below:
- CBD gummies are easy to use. Gummies are generally easier to take than alternative oral CBD products; any unpleasant taste is masked by a sweet flavour and there is no need to swallow bulky capsules or use an oil dropper to place drops under the tongue. Furthermore, the dosage is precise.
- They are tasty! CBD gummies are delicious. Immune Enhance + CBD Gummies come in two fruity flavours: strawberry and orange – which we’re sure you’ll agree is more palatable than plain CBD oil!
- CBD is an anti-inflammatory. Its anti-inflammation action may help to lower the risk of the development of chronic issues such as high blood pressure and obesity.
- Pain relief. CBD may provide relief for chronic muscle and joint pain.
- Mood lifting. CBD has been shown to improve symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Relaxation and improved sleep. Many users claim that CBD relaxes them and helps them achieve deeper and better quality sleep.
- Lower blood pressure. CBD has been shown to help improve symptoms of hypertension.
- CBD is non-psychoactive. Using CBD gummies will not get you high, as CBD does not possess the intoxicating effects that are associated with THC (tetrahydrocannabinol – another active cannabis plant compound).
- CBD is an antioxidant. This means it can help to prevent or slow down the negative impact of free radicals on cells.
- CBD gummy effects may last longer. Edible forms of CBD such as gummies can offer a longer duration of effect as a result of the time taken to pass through the digestive system.
How Do They Taste?
If you find the earthy CBD and hemp flavour unpalatable, CBD gummies are the product for you. Gummies completely mask the taste since they contain broad-spectrum CBD with sweet, natural, fruity flavours, much like regular sweets. This provides a much more enjoyable experience for those looking to experience the benefits of CBD without the (arguably) disagreeable taste of CBD oil.
How Do They Work?
CBD gummies are ingested and pass through the digestive system. After chewing, they are broken down by enzymes in the stomach and absorbed through the intestine, before being metabolised by the liver. Broken down CBD is distributed throughout the entire body in the bloodstream, reaching cells, tissues and organs. Here, CBD interacts with receptors of the endocannabinoid system (this is the biological system responsible for regulating mood, pain, sleep, appetite, etc) to provide benefits.
Gummies are an excellent mode of delivery of CBD to the endocannabinoid system, and although effects can take a while as digestion is required, gummies can deliver widespread and long-lasting effects.
Uses for CBD gummies are generally the same as for CBD oil drops, capsules, etc. This might be for pain and discomfort, to improve sleep, relieve anxiety or lower inflammation levels, for instance. Gummies can be dosed very easily and used discreetly, for example, during a time when anxiety levels are heightened, popping a gummy into your mouth tends to be more subtle than using a dropper to drop CBD oil under your tongue.
Dosing: How Much is Too Much?
It’s up to you how much you take, but we strongly recommend starting on a low dose and building up slowly. The Novel Food Recommendation for CBD is a maximum of 70mg per day. The concentration of CBD in a single gummy will depend on the brand’s formulation; Mission C’s Immune Enhance + CBD Gummies, for instance, contain 10mg CBD each.
Ultimately, each individual is different and it’s up to you to find your optimal dose.
Factors to Consider When Buying CBD Gummies
There are several factors to consider when purchasing CBD gummies. Firstly, what are you intending to use them for? If you don’t require fast effects but would benefit from longer-lasting benefits, gummies could be right for you.
Always purchase from a premium brand that uses high-quality CBD in its products. Any CBD products – gummies included – are required by law to contain less than 0.2% THC to prevent the occurrence of psychoactive effects. Any reputable brand will be able to provide lab reports which confirm the required testing has been carried out and products contain no more than the legal limit of THC.
Not only are gummies the tastiest way of enjoying cannabidiol, but they also offer long-lasting effects. Whether it’s better quality sleep, anxiety reduction, pain relief or a mood-boost that you require, CBD gummies are a great choice – providing you can give them enough time to digest and kick in.
If you’re trying CBD gummies for the first time, start with a small dose (one gummy) and build up very slowly to see how your body tolerates CBD. Purchase from a reputable brand and check that your gummies are legal before buying (according to UK law, they must contain less than 0.2% THC).