Unwinding in the tub after a hard and hectic day is the ultimate self-care experience. Simple yet effective, laying in a blissful bubble bath filled with fragrant essential oils and flickering scented candles can ease your troubles – and your muscles – in next to no time. It’s no secret that a soothing soak in the bath is effective at alleviating symptoms of stress and anxiety, promoting restful sleep and relaxation. But there may be one item missing from your ideal bath arrangement, and that’s the desirable CBD bath bomb
The Beloved Bath Bomb
Bath bombs are not exactly a new phenomenon. Made up of Epsom salts, bicarbonate of soda and a few additional ingredients such as essential oils, these wondrous effervescent spheres fizz and bubble in the tub until dissolved. Then, you can step in and enjoy the benefits: detoxification, relaxation, stress-relief, pain-relief and silky smooth skin are just a few of the reasons we adore a good-quality bath bomb. Yes, Epsom salts are fantastic for helping flush toxins out the body. Essential oils such as lavender promote relaxation, stress relief, sleep and healthy skin. And then there are additional natural extracts, such as CBD, that can be infused into a bath bomb and contribute their own advantages. CBD, which stands for cannabidiol, is a compound of the cannabis plant that offers incredible therapeutic effects, such as reduced inflammation, relief from muscle pain, acne reduction and hydrated skin. CBD can even provide relief from chronic conditions such as arthritis and eczema.
You can buy CBD bath bombs online and off the shelves, or you can make your own. Doing it yourself may sound troublesome, but it is in fact, startlingly easy. Check out our top tips for making your own CBD bath bombs before you head to the stores – all it takes for the ideal relaxation combo is some of your spare time and a few ingredients, several of which are kitchen pantry staples.
1. Gather Your Ingredients
So, what exactly do you need to make the perfect CBD and bath bomb combo? Recipes vary so it’s worth researching a suitable formula before you start. However, these are the basics that you’ll most certainly need:
- Epsom salts
- Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- Citric acid (this, in combination with the bicarbonate of soda, causes the bath bomb to fizz!)
- A good-quality oil such as coconut oil or hemp oil, melted
- Your choice of essential oil – our favourites are lavender and eucalyptus
- A high-quality CBD oil
Optional: Get creative and add food colouring, glitter or dried flowers for extra bath bomb appeal.
The quantity of each ingredient will vary depending on the number of bath bombs you wish to make.
2. What Tools Do I Need?
In addition to the ingredients, you’ll need a few basic tools to create your brilliant bath bombs. We recommend:
- Bath bomb mould
- Mixing bowl
- Disposable gloves
- Measuring cups
Tip: Stick to a standard sphere-shaped mould or find funky shapes for a unique appearance!
Gather together your chosen ingredients and essential tools prior to starting, to ensure a seamless process.
3. Choose a Great Recipe
The internet is awash with bath bomb recipes including those for CBD-infused bath bombs. We recommend doing some research beforehand and choosing a recipe that suits your goals and the ingredients and tools that you possess. A simple step by step guide always proves useful for beginners, too.
Read comments and reviews from others who have followed the recipe beforehand. Are the comments positive? Once you choose a recipe, be sure to stick to it and follow the steps carefully. You might make mistakes on your first attempt, but that’s common! Remember, practice makes perfect.
Sample Recipe for 4 CBD Bath Bombs
- Mix 4oz Epsom salts, 4oz corn starch, 8oz bicarbonate of soda and 4oz citric acid in a bowl. Add in any additional ingredients – food colouring, glitter, etc. Mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl, mix together 3 tbsp oil, several drops of essential oils, 1 ½ tsp of water and 4 droppers full of CBD oil (1 dropper per bath bomb).
- Slowly and carefully pour the contents of the small bowl into the dry mixture, and stir constantly while you pour. Adding the liquid mixture too quickly will cause the combination to fizz, which you want to avoid.
- Once poured in, whisk carefully until smooth.
- Place the mixture into the bath bomb moulds as quickly as you can to avoid it drying out. You may need to apply some pressure to pack the mixture down into the mould.
- Let your bath bombs dry overnight and don’t open the moulds, no matter how tempting it is to peek at your creation!
- When you remove your bath bombs from their moulds, you can spray a little water on any that have cracked and re-pack them, leaving them to dry again for several hours.
- Drop a homemade CBD bath bomb into the tub and enjoy its dreamlike soothing powers!
4. How Do I Use My Homemade CBD Bath Bomb?
You’ve made your first batch of CBD bath bombs and you’re probably feeling pretty pleased with yourself (and rightly so!). But how do you maximise the potential of your fizzing, soothing spheres?
Using a bath bomb is easy but there are a couple of steps you can take to take full advantage of the restorative benefits of CBD and your added bath bomb ingredients.
- Fill your tub with warm water; the perfect temperature for relaxation is not quite scorching hot but not too cool.
- Once the bath is full, drop your homemade CBD bath bomb into the water. Let your effervescent creation appeal to your senses as it fizzes, bubbles and dissolves into the water!
- Once dissolved, step into the tub and soak for at least 30 minutes to allow optimal absorption of CBD into your bloodstream. To enhance the experience, you might wish to light some candles, enjoy an aromatic herbal tea or listen to your favourite podcast.
5. Alternative CBD Products
CBD bath bombs are just one way of enjoying the marvels of cannabidiol oil. If you’re short on time, there are many ways that you can enjoy CBD that don’t rely on soaking in the bath. CBD oil can be consumed by adding a few drops under the tongue or by chewing on a CBD-infused gummy. Many premium brands also sell CBD-infused balms, lotions and facial skincare products. As the research into the benefits of CBD grows, the market continues to boom and more and more users are experiencing the stress-relieving, health-enhancing benefits of CBD.