The 2017 legalisation by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), has changed the way we view CBD and sports. Current legislation confirms that athletes will now not be banned from professional sports if CBD is detected in blood screen tests as CBD was removed from the list of prohibited substances. There is an important caveat: ONLY CBD was removed from the prohibited list. The psychoactive component of marijuana, THC, is still prohibited in competition, as are a number of other cannabinoids found in the hemp plant.
What are the different types of CBD?
Full-spectrum CBD is the most natural form of CBD oil because it contains all naturally occurring cannabinoids and terpenes within the hemp flower. In other words, you will find trace levels of THC (less than 0.3%), along with other minor cannabinoids, such as CBN, CBG, and CBC. Furthermore, full-spectrum CBD contains terpenes, which are responsible for the aroma and flavour of hemp. Overall, full-spectrum CBD is known to produce the entourage effect.
Broad Spectrum CBD is exactly like full-spectrum CBD with one difference — it doesn't contain THC. Therefore, it can be said that broad-spectrum CBD products produce the entourage effect, albeit without any THC.
- CBD isolate is a pure form of CBD because it does not contain other cannabinoids (CBN, CBG, THC etc.) or terpenes. During the extraction process of CBD isolate, cannabidiol is stripped from the oil and isolated from the rest of the cannabinoids and terpenes. Therefore, CBD isolate doesn't smell or taste like anything.
What CBD products should athletes choose?
As most of us are not professional athletes and exercise for fun and health reasons, having the benefits of a broad-spectrum CBD products makes sense due to the entourage effect, whereby all of the cannabinoids and terpenes combine to create synergistic effects on the endocannabinoid system. Thus, broad-spectrum CBD promotes a broader range of supportive effects compared to other types of CBD products. Not to worry though, the ‘THC’ is removed from broad spectrum CBD, so you will not feel high or feel any psychoactive effects. Mission C have created a pre workout CBD and post workout CBD sports range of CBD oils aimed at everyday athletes who are looking to optimise their performance and recovery.
What CBD products should professional athletes chose?
If you consider that most high-quality CBD Isolates are produced at 99.5% purity or higher, then we are only concerned with the other 0.5% that is not CBD. In high quality Isolates this 0.5% is also tested for the other 14 significant Cannabinoid including THC and levels of each of these are normally not detected.
It is always a good idea to take a look at the product certificate of analysis prior to purchase to check there are no detected levels of other tested Cannabinoids as most reputable suppliers allow you to view this data on their website.
Now also consider that this pure Isolate is now diluted into your high-quality finished sports products between concentrations of 1%, (topical cbd creams & blams) to 20%, (Oils). Finally, if you consider that your body only absorbs around 5% of the consumed Cannabinoids, this puts the potential amount of non-CBD Cannabinoids absorbed by your blood to levels several factors below the limits of detection of any existing lab testing equipment and their available methods. We think common sense wins through now and everyone would agree that the risk is negligible unless you regularly exceed the recommended daily dose for CBD of 70mg per day.
However, if you are worried about testing, the best product format to choose is a CBD Isolate only product which contains only high purity CBD. Mission C have created a pre workout and post workout Pro Sports CBD Oil Range, that contains isolate CBD and guarantees 0% THC for professional athletes.
We believe in open, honest, and balanced communication, we tell people everything they need to know about CBD. All information is trusted, vetted, and backed by scientific evidence. If you want to learn more about CBD and have any further questions, please reach out through our contact form on the website or email@example.com. Above all else, we’re human. Our team is made up of real, contactable people who are on hand for anything you might need.
Let’s, Create Change.